Goal setting

Ambition is an innate human trait; we have strived since the beginning of time to succeed.  History tells us great tails of achievement with the construction of megalithic structures of days long past.  Writing epic tails of love and loss, poetry, Inventions, and innovations we still see today.  Humans have always set goals and achieved them  

Thought it was only in the most recent history that the power of setting and shoving goals was embraced by organisations as a tool that every person should use.   1968 Dr. Edwin Locke published “toward a theory Talk Motivation and incentives” in this publication he established that setting goals enhances results in senior management.

Most industries and professions have used or still do use the SMART goal method.  Leaders, managers, and HR professionals advocate for this method of goal setting as a tool to provide a direction for their staff.  As a person who has come form sales the smart goal is something that was often talked about though for some reason, I had a natural aversion to the method. 

I think I felt that parts of it were not all together necessary, or just did not make sense to me.  Perhaps it was the interpretation of the person administering the method in the team. 

Specific

Measurable

Achievable

Relevant

Time-bound

This is an effective model for what it is worth.  Many people have used it and clearly succeeded in their endeavours.  What I found difficult was the size of the goal how do I measure happiness or wellbeing.  Perhaps this method does not work for every person’s goals.

Specific: yes, goals must be specific, measurable: absolutely a good idea to know how far you have come into your journey and how far you have left.  Achievable; crucial idea, setting lofty goals has no worth, sure I want to be millionaire, but when I start form zero how achievable is it really? Perhaps that comes to personal belief. Relevant, naturally there is no point making a goal to travel the world when you have no desire or reason to do so. Time Bound could be where I tripped up. 

Setting goals should be simple.

After some research I learned that this method of goa setting was developed by an economist which makes perfect sense because it seems to be aimed at industry leaders, sales forces and other such corporate endeavours.  Again, I reiterate that this form of goal setting still has a place and is relevant for those who choose to engage with it.

Though even in my time as a salesperson I was never able to use it to achieve mu goals it was missing something, but I just could not figure it out. When I became a schoolteacher the SMART goal remerged, the context which it was used didn’t fit with the type of goal that I was asked to set.  As a result, I didn’t achieve the goal.  something was missing and for me it was unrealistic to set the goal in the time my coach wanted me t achieve it in.

In my study of positive psychology, wellness, and happiness as part of my practice I came across the WOOP method.  Developed over 20 years though scientific investigation within the realm of psychology by Gabriele Oettingen.  Her research not human motivation  aimed to identify why other methods like SMART, laws of attraction  and Visualisation fall short of their objective.

Don’t individual differences come in to play? Yes.  The research say that its important to make the wish (W) so you know what you want to achieve, visualise the outcome (O) feel the sensations of success for a moment. But then, step outside the positive warm fuzziness of the sensitive new age ideas and get uncomfortable.  Focusing on obstacles (O) to highlight the things that may go wrong is an important step.  This seems to flip a switch to think about things form a solution focused perspective to put a plan (P) in place.  The plan is a simple if, then plan, “If (the obstacle) then (steps to overcome)”. 

Let say my goal is to get healthy for summer, but I am met with sugary treats every Friday in the staffroom at work, which I cannot resist.  My if then plan might be “If I see delicious treats in the staff room at work then I will make sure I have a health option prepared.”  Rehearsing your if then plan you train your brain to see alternatives that help you overcome the obstacles.

What other goal setting models seem to miss out or ignore is the obstacles.  By understanding your obstacles, you can formulate a plan.  Obstacles become only need to be a little high and are no longer insurmountable.

For support in developing WOOP goals to support your strengths I work with small groups and individuals face to face and online www.coastlinecoaching.co.nz




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Introduction

Keep it Simple

Changes in coaching